Native Language (Ojibwe) is taught at St. James School, St. David School, and Holy Trinity School as part of the Regular Program curriculum. Beginning in Grade 4, Native Language students receive 40 minutes of Native Language instruction each day.
Our Secondary Schools offer a variety of Native Studies courses. Please contact the school’s Guidance Counsellors for a full list of course offerings.
Native Language skills are taught through themes based on students' interests and experiences. Learning activities centre around listening, speaking, reading and writing, and are designed to prepare students to apply their linguistic and cultural knowledge in real-life situations.
The goals for a graduate of our Native Languages program include:
- understand key ideas of written materials on familiar subjects
- follow oral instructions
- take part in simple conversations on everyday topics
- write short messages and letters
- appreciate Native cultures and teaching including ceremonies, smudging and Pow Wow drumming
- have the foundation to pursue fluency through further study or living for a time in a Native speaking environment